70 kHz Programmable IMC-Hall® Current Sensor with Automotive ProtectionsMLX91206 Melexis
The Melexis MLX91206 opens new opportunities for contactless current sensing in renewable energy applications, hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) and electric vehicle (EV). The device is a customer programmable monolithic sensor IC featuring Triaxis® technology. It enables the user to construct small, economical current sensor solutions with fast response times. The chip directly monitors the current flowing in an external conductor such as a bus bar or printed circuit board (PCB) track.
The contactless current sensor consists of a complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) Hall effect sensor with a thin ferromagnetic layer structured on its surface. The integrated magnetic concentrator layer (IMC-Hall®) provides a high magnetic gain which significantly increases the signal to noise ratio of the sensor.
The current sensor is particularly appropriate for DC and/or AC current measurements up to 90kHz with ohmic isolation, very low insertion loss, fast response time, small package size and low assembly cost requirements.
The MLX91206 current sensor is automotive qualified and senses the current by converting the magnetic field generated by currents flowing through a conductor to a voltage, which is proportional to the field. There is no upper limit to the level of current that can be measured because the output level is dependant on the conductor size and distance from the sensor.
Fully Custom Programmable
The transfer characteristic of the MLX91206 is fully customer programmable (offset, gain, clamping levels and more). The output is selectable between analog and pulse-width modulation (PWM).
The linear analog output permits use of the sensor in applications where a very fast response of <10 µsec is required, whereas the PWM output is used for applications where low speed but high output signal robustness is required or where a digital signal is desired as input to a micro. An additional thermometer output signal helps to monitor the ambient temperature in the application.
MLX91206CAL: Low magnetic field (10mT)
- MLX91206CAH: High magnetic field (25mT)
Features and benefits
Programmable high speed IMC-Hall® current sensor with Triaxis® technology
Fast response time
Large bandwidth DC- 90kHZ
Magnetic concentrator (IMC-Hall®) provides higher signal to noise ratio
Over voltage and reverse polarity protection
Broken track diagnostic
Fast analog output (12 bits resolution DAC)
PWM output (12 bits resolution ADC)
Selectable ratio-metric output
Programmable switch function
17 bit ID number
Single die SOIC8 package RoHS compliant
- Lead free component, suitable for lead free soldering, MSL3
- Automotive - Hybrid & Electric Powertrain
- Industrial & Robotics
- Building, Security, Home & Office Automation
- White Goods & Household Appliances
- Non-Automotive Transportation
Documents and tools
- Reference Design Guide for Current Sensors
- Current Sensors Programming and Calibration
- Magnetic Linearity and Hysteresis
- Download Product Flyer for Current Sensor with Clamp-On Shield
- Download Product Flyer for Dual range IMC-Hall® Current Sensors
- Download Product Flyer for IMC-Hall® Current Sensors in PDU Applications
- Download Product Flyer for Planar Current Sensors with IMC-Hall® Technology
- Download Product Flyer for MLX91206